Image hosting by Photobucket
Tuesday, December 13, 2005
Someone's in the kitchen with Dinah
but oddly not strumming on a banjo.

My mom had this great idea that we should get together and bake cookies for Christmas. She thought we could start a new tradition. Actually it is rather a good idea. So yesterday I drove down to her house for our innagural cookie marathon. I arrived at her house at 10:30 but of course we didn't have everything we needed so we had to run to the store. Of course we didn't go straight to the store. We had to stop at the cable company so my mom could beg the cable people to come hook up her new kitchen television while she was on vacation. I think it was mostly so she would stop watching the only channel she got... snow. Yes, I witnessed a grown woman begging the cable lady to hook up her cable sooner.
Off to the grocery store. My mom happens to work in this particular grocery store so of course we had to stop and talk to everyone. Plus she had to fill out her vacation request so she would actually get paid for said cookie baking. By the time we returned to her house and commenced with the baking it was 1:00.
The baking was so much fun! We didn't get as much done as we thought but what we did do turned out good. We made Russian cookies call Kolachki (yummy, highly recommended!), Peanut Brittle and Pretzles covered with Almond Bark. The best part was that my mom makes Hot Buttered Rum Mix every year. This year I was privy to the mix making. So easy, but of course we had to sample the fruits of our labor. Now I am not much of a rum fan, in fact I think the stuff is rather revolting, but I am here to tell you this mix makes Captain Morgan's taste like a dream!!! If I had not been doped up on allergy medication I think I would have had me a few of those babies. However, 2 allergy pills, rum and a car do not a fun time make.
So what did I learn from my baking experience with mom?
1. Evidently the cable company IS in the Christmas spirit, but only if you grovel on all fours.
2. Do not add gel based food coloring to Almond Bark unless you want glop.
and finally...
3. My mother is still a bit nutty, but that is what makes her fun.

I still have to finish up some cookies, but that might be aided with a little of mom's homemade Hot Buttered Rum mix. Of course this requires something to stand on since I baby proofed the house and put the liquor above the fridge. Dang!

So let's hear it everyone... I know you are out there. Let's hear your favorite holiday traditions. Something you do on Christmas, before Christmas or after. Nothing is too little. Make me feel like you are in the holiday spirit too!

Blessings, Lisa
5 Comments:
Blogger Lauri said...
I spent the weekend baking cookies with my neice- we also made kolatchky cookies, as well as other holiday must haves.

Merry Christmas

Lauri

Blogger Trusty Husband said...
The scary part is how alike Lisa and her Mom are...lol

Blogger Rhonda said...
I always think my food tastes better if I drink while I'm cooking. Glad to see I'm not the only one...LOL. Sounds like a fun day.

Blogger Elle said...
I think I will take that one as a compliment thank you very much!
Lisa

Blogger Elle said...
Ok, I meant Derek's comment about how alike my mom and I are. I am not insinuating that all food I cook tastes good while drinking, although it does help.