Image hosting by Photobucket
Wednesday, March 01, 2006
What was I going to say?
As I lay in bed this morning at 2 a.m. wide awake I had this great idea for a post. I actually should have gotten up and written it. Because now that I am sitting in front of the computer I totally can't remember what I was going to write. I just have this problem with getting out of the bed in the middle of the night. I am a total insomniac, but I would rather lay in bed listening to D and the cats snore than get up and watch TV, use the computer or anything else. It sucks!

So since that whole adoption thing is moving forward I suppose I should really post about that. We are still in the throws of the paperwork nightmare. Our new concern is over the financial paperwork. One piece of paper gives an outline of your financial situation, another are employment letters from D's employer and one from our accountant for me. The last is the homestudy. All of the dollar amounts have to match. The problem is that D and I don't file our taxes until sometime in September. (we are procrastinators because we owe every year instead of get money back) Sooo, our original home study reflects earnings from 2003 & 2004. The employment letters and financial statement reflect earnings from 2004. It took us about a month to get it all figured out last July so it jived. Well now that we have to have the stinkin' home study update it won't match anymore. But our employment letters and financial form don't expire until July. And of course D was a straight commission sales person so our "salary" is never the same. In other words, he made less last year than the year before.

Now I have to go through all of our tax info to find out exactly how much we did make, let the coordinator know and find out what to do about the paperwork. The other issue is that D's employment letter has to come from Wisconsin. Of course then it has to be apostilled in the state of Wisconsin. Fortunately, in WI you don't send the original document to the Sec. of State., so the HR guy tells us who the notary is, we mail off the request and attach it to the document ourselves.

Doesn't this all sound so confusing? Trust me it is. If you or someone you love is considering an international adoption please asses your (or their) organizational skills. If all parties involved in the adoption are disorganized procrastinators please reconsider. I tell you this because I care. Really, this too is a public service.
6 Comments:
Blogger Jennefer said...
I AM confused. I am actually very relieved that I don't have to figure out both your paper work and mine. For me, I am obsessive about lists and that is how I get everything organized. Still, I am amazed at how so many people successfully do manage all of the paperwork and come out with a child in the end. I think it is a miracle every time.

Blogger Lauri said...
Oh boy do I know what your talking about... John is good with numbers and Im organized so we make a good team for Dossier... I have taken charge of the dossier paperwork and he just signs the dotted line. John takes charge of trying to figure out how to afford it... and i pray.... Its really hard.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Oh...thanks...I laughed out loud because I act like I am organized, but then I freak out if I can't find one piece of paper. Last week, it was A's notarized employer letter. :) gaye

Blogger Maggie said...
Reading yours and Lauri's posts seriously worry me. My dossier is supposed to be set up for only one trip. (My region has recently accepted hosting as the referral visit. Lucky... because a lot of regions don't. There's no one-visit guarantee, but it looks hopeful.)

I'm worried now that maybe I don't have everything I should have. I'll have to ask my coordinator.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
We'll have the same issues with employment letters because Michael is almost 100% commission sales for his own company. Very confusing, but something I should probably delegate to him. Although he's not one to "play by the rules" and with everything having too be perfect (& according to Russia) maybe that's not a good idea. Funny how the women take the lead on the dossier!

Blogger Rhonda said...
Oh BOY. We're right behind you on this road. We haven't had to do all of this stuff yet, but I'm sure its coming.